Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Peanut Allergies and the Peanut

Since the little porpoise was diagnosed with a milk allergy, allergens have become one of my biggest pre-occupations and neurosis. While her diet is basically just Soy formula and rice cereal right now, it's been very easy to manage the milk allergy. My bigger concern is that I somehow created an allergic kid. What allergies have yet to be discovered? Mostly, I fear the peanut allergy.

My husband's love for peanut butter borders on obsessive. He eats it all the time - peanut butter on English muffins for breakfast, peanut butter granola bars for snacks and peanut butter ice cream for dessert. His favorite part of the holidays - Reeses Peanut Butter Christmas Trees.

Now, while he's chowing on peanut butter by the spoonful and showering the Little Porpoise with loving kisses and playful zerberts, one news story sticks in my mind - the girl who kissed her boyfriend after he ate a PB&J and died!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

We have a serious wheat allergy over here. I, too, love peanut butter and eat it every day. When we were undergoing the serious allergy testing, the doctor said it would be unlikely that Gunne was allergic to PB - we would have noticed something with my eating it and touching him! And, sure enough, he tested negative. I'm sure you'll probably have the same results.