Friday, September 24, 2010

Laundry Explosions

Hi there. It's been awhile.

While I've been gone for over a year, I'm still neurotic about the same stuff. As proof, my first post back has a similar theme as the last post before I left: Home Explosions.

Here is a story I heard over the summer. An old lady had a gas dryer (so do we). She smelled gas and went down to the basement to investigate. Realizing it was coming from the dryer she thought it would be a good idea to open the door and air it out. So she did, and the door sparked, igniting the gas-filled bowl inside. The explosion knocked her back, action-movie style. She died.

Crazy way to die, right? The thing is I am certain that I would have done the exact same thing. Have you ever had a pilot light go out on an old gas stove? You open the window to air out the house, right? So that would have been my thought with the dryer. I would have opened the basement window, then opened the dryer. Boom! Dead. I asked my husband what he would have done. Boom! Dead.

So, now I am neurotic about both house fires, AND our poor decision-making skills and lack of common sense.

No comments: