Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Porpoise and the Cantaloupe

My husband grew up in a PCB-contaminated city. I'm no Erin Brockovich, but I think the city deserved more than the settlement it received - a small baseball field and a promise to clean the river.

But my issue isnt with the paltry settlement. My issue is that for years my husband rolled around in PCB-laden dirt, probably ingested some of it, and definitely got it under his fingernails. He seems fine - no obvious effects. My real concern is for our unborn children, who knows what disfigurement awaits them! PCBs are probably coating my husband's genes.

What does this have to do with a porpoise and a cantaloupe? Often my neuroses manifest themselves in dreams. In this particular re-occurring dream, I am pregnant. My belly falls off and opens up to look just like a halved cantaloupe. After the doctor scrapes the cantaloupe guts away he presents me with my baby-- which looks just like a disfigured porpoise.

In actuality, this is another case of me worrying, without researching. If you click on the link to PCB information above or below you will see that most harm is caused by the mother being exposed to PCB's - by eating contaminated fish, or working in a factory.

Most likely our unborn kids are fine - that is, if we can have them. I just learned today that high-levels of PCB's can sometimes contribute to infertility.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judging by that article on PCBs you mention, I think you especially at risk if you are thinking of conceiving monkey children.