Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mexican Drug Cartels

Somehow I managed to avoid learning that drug cartels had taken over Mexico until the day before we left for our vacation. Since my mom told me about, I immediately assumed it was hyperbole-- after all, she's seriously neurotic.

I have to say I felt totally safe and comfortable at the Excellence Playa Mujeres (highly recommend it). I also felt plenty safe at the airport given the many armored tanks and machine-gun toting soldiers at Terminal One of Cancun International. We were flying out of Terminal 2 but our driver dropped us off at Terminal 3. We hopped on the free airport shuttle which took us through scenic Baghdad, Iraq (aka Terminal 1) before dropping us off at Terminal 2.

According to the Fair and Balanced reports on Fox News, the drug cartels only control the border towns, not the resort towns. The US border towns. Comforting.

No comments: